Types of Membership
MSDC's two main membership categories are Active (premium) Membership and Associate (standard) Membership. Click on each category to learn more.
Who can be an Active members? Physicians in the DC area, including residents and fellows.
Why do you want to be an Active Member?
- You can discuss and decide MSDC policy through volunteer groups, including the Board of Directors
- You receive the lowest possible price on every event, including many free events.
- You are eligible to receive free life/work/career coaching from MSDC vetted coaches and psychologists
- You receive new benefits first, including trial benefits
- You receive no cost assistance from MSDC staff for help with the DC government and payers
- Plus all benefits Associate members receive.
Who can be Associate members? Physicians in the DC area, medical students, allied health professionals, plus anyone else interested in supporting MSDC.
Why do you want to be an Associate Member?
- You may listen in to MSDC volunteer group meetings, including the Board meetings, by request.
- You receive discounts on MSDC events and products
- You receive updates and information on DC medicine and politics, including our newsletter eNews
- You are eligible to receive assistance from MSDC staff on District government issues, at times for free
There are three other membership categories for specific types of people:
Affiliate Members shall be organizations interested in furthering the objectives and purposes of the Society and satisfying such other criteria as may be established by the Board of Directors. Affiliate members may send a representative to seminars and other events to which all members are invited.
Honorary Members shall be physicians, scientists, or other persons who deserve recognition, as determined by the Board of Directors. They need not be licensed to practice medicine or osteopathy.
Life Members shall be individuals who have been members of the Society or another constituent society of the American Medical Association such that the sum of the individual’s age and years of membership in the Society and/or a constituent society of the AMA equals or exceeds a number as determined by the Board of Directors. Life Members shall be permitted to transfer to Active membership upon request.
Honorary and Life Members may attend annual meetings.
For 2024, MSDC has introduced new rates to better recognize the financial demands on physicians. Many individuals will see their dues reduced by up to 10%. See below for our membership rates.
If you are a DC area physician who wants to be an Active Member, your dues rate is $499.
Early Career Physicians
Physicians within their first 8 years of practice post-residency or under the age of 40 who choose to be Active Members receive the special rate of $229.
Late Career Physicians
Physicians over the age of 70 OR who have been a member of MSDC or another medical society for 40+ years receive the special rate of $229 if they want to be an Active Member.
Late Career Physicians are also eligible for a dues-free Life Membership, which only comes with the benefit of being invited to MSDC events.
Residents and Fellows
Allied Health Professionals
Individuals Interested in MSDC's Mission