Mayor Announces End of Indoor Mask Mandate
At her COVID-19 press conference today, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser announced the end of the general indoor mask requirement in the District starting next Monday.
The Mayor pointed to a plateauing COVID infection rate and rare serious cases among the vaccinated as a justification to loosen the restriction. Going forward, according to Mayor Bowser, DC Health will create guidance based on risk levels, which will be tied to a person's vaccination status.
Masks will still be required in the following situations:
- In a private business that wants a mask requirement
- On public transport including ride share vehicles, buses and trains
- In train stations and airports
- Inside childcare facilities, schools, and libraries
- At congregate facilities like nursing home
- At DC government facilities where the public interacts with government employees
MSDC is monitoring and awaiting further guidance from DC Health on how or if this will impact requirements for healthcare facilities.