Partake in the Season of Giving with MSDC Wellness Programs December 1, 2021
Written by MSDC Staff
The Season of Giving
'Tis the season for giving. MSDC’s giving opportunities and charitable endeavors are aimed at wellbeing and the health of the community.
MSDC's wellness programs include the Physician Health Program and the Healthy Physician Program. Together, these programs address the full spectrum of wellness, from personal and professional resilience and work-life balance through illness and disorders which can be career-threatening and sometimes life-threatening. MSDC’s programs are physician-driven and guided by the science and craft of healing. To support these valuable programs, make a tax-deductible donation here.
HEALTHY PHYSICIAN PROGRAM
The Healthy Physician Program (HPP) is MSDC's comprehensive physician wellness program that provides resources and templates to address moral injury and burnout and its many manifestations. It is a much-needed resource in these challenging times and offers a wide range of benefits:
- Coaching and counselling: MSDC's wellness professionals can address professional needs (leadership development, career coaching, workplace concerns, burnout) and professional needs (relationship discussions, identity concerns, work-life balance). They were selected for their physician expertise and a number are physicians themselves. HPP funding makes two complimentary sessions available to all Active MSDC members.
- Networking and community: Connection to like-minded peers is one of the best ways to combat burnout and revitalize your love of medicine. Whether your interest lies in shaping the future of medicine, women in medicine, early career development, private practice or elsewhere, MSDC has an opportunity for you to get involved. Learn more about our physician communities.
- Burnout prevention technology. The newest wellbeing resource is the convenient Healthy Physician app. To help prevent burnout, it provides regular physician-specific inspiration, professional counseling and coaching, peer-to-peer messaging, and wellbeing resources and best practices. It is available for download to Apple or Android devices.
PHYSICIAN HEALTH PROGRAM
For almost 40 years, the Physician Health Program (PHP) has helped save hundreds of physician lives and careers and promoted quality medical care. The PHP provides confidential assistance to physicians, resident physicians, and medical students suffering from substance use disorders, psychiatric disorders, and other behavioral problems. Through a staffed peer review committee, the program refers for evaluation, monitors the treatment and clinical practice of its participants and provides advocacy and support as well as outreach activities, including prevention and education. It has a 95% success rate for physicians who comply with the program.
Have you ever thought to yourself:
- I worry that a physician friend might have a drinking problem
- I suspect a colleague is self-prescribing painkillers or other controlled medications
- I observe signs of depression, mood instability, or anxiety in a colleague to the point that their performance is affected