MSDC Joins the AAMSE Pledge on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion June 26, 2020
Written by MSDC Staff
Today the Medical Society of DC joined the American Association of Medical Society Executives (AAMSE) in its Pledge for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The pledge was written by the AAMSE leadership as a proactive statement on racial justice in the medical society space. The pledge reads:
We Are AAMSE: A Pledge for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As members of AAMSE and a committed community of medical society professionals:
- We will acknowledge and act against all forms of racism, discrimination, and bias in medical societies and the communities where our members practice medicine.
- We will implement recruiting and hiring practices resulting in a more diverse workforce where equity and inclusion is visible and nourished by all.
- We will create a welcoming environment that encourages engagement and leadership pathways for those who have not traditionally been included, invited, and involved.
- We will establish and sustain opportunities for learning, advancement, and growth through training related to conscious inclusion and cultural competence for our staff members, physician members, and healthcare professionals.
- We will stand in solidarity with communities of color and other marginalized groups who experience discrimination.
- We will move from rhetoric to action and do our part to eliminate inequities in our medical societies and the broader healthcare community.
- We will act as allies to encourage and empower individuals of of color and other non-privileged identities to teach us how to be better.
The American Association of Medical Society Executives (AAMSE) is the professional association of over 1,300 medical society executives and staff specialists. Through its more than 300 member organizations, AAMSE advances the profession of medicine through education, communication of knowledge, leadership development and collaboration.
Member organizations include county, regional, state, state specialty, national, national specialty and international medical societies, as well as affiliated health care organizations and industry partners. MSDC is a member of AAMSE.