As the Voice of Medicine in the District of Columbia, MSDC:
▪ Advocates for physicians among key stakeholders and decisionmakers. In the legislative arena, MSDC lobbies DC Councilmembers. On the administrative side, MSDC advocates for its members with the Executive Office of the Mayor, the DC Department of Health and Board of Medicine and the District’s Medicaid Program. Finally, MSDC works with private insurers and public insurers, including Medicare contractor Novitas, to argue for fair reimbursement terms.
▪ Saves physicians money, time and hassles. One of the many purposes of MSDC is to ease burdens on physicians. This has meant addressing physician complaints with the RAC audit process, pushing to streamline the prior authorization process and easing the hassles of managed care and government regulations. MSDC works continually to minimize such obstacles and allow physicians to focus on patient care.
▪ Helps physicians navigate the license renewal process. MSDC provides timely information on physician licensure requirements, offers CME opportunities (in collaboration with MSDC partners) to meet District requirements. MSDC also helps alleviate application snafus, and because of MSDC's relations to the Board of Medicine MSDC can help members cut through red tape.
▪ Assists in implementing federal law locally. As health system reform evolves, MSDC ensures it is implemented at the local and regional levels in ways that support the patient-physician relationship and promotes public health.
▪ Keeps physicians well-informed. To ensure that physicians have up-to-date information, regular and special notices alert physicians to timely items about MSDC and health care, legislative and other urgent matters, such as licensure and public health issues.
▪ Helps physicians manage a practice. MSDC offers solutions, resources and consulting to help a practice run efficiently and effectively through its partnership with MedChi Network Services.
▪ Protects the health of DC residents. To ensure that the public receives accurate information about medicine and health care, MSDC communicates regularly with the public, providing experts on health issues and educating the press. MSDC informs the public on key health topics including tobacco control, medical marijuana, the treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS, and emergency preparedness.
▪ Helps maintain high standards of medical care. Maintaining high professional standards is an ongoing priority of MSDC through a program to help physicians confront personal issues and provide them needed assistance.